Week 29, 30, 31 & 32, Nesting

OMG where has the month gone?  Well, we spent the first two weeks celebrating.  First was kids’ military appreciation day at the SD Zoo.  Then Easter.  And then my birthday!  Nate took me on a couple dates, and then we drove up to Palm Springs to my parents’ weekend house to swim in the pool and eat all of my mom’s delicious cooking.  It sounds glamorous, and it was!!  The kids had a blast too.  Here are some pix of those first two weeks.

The second two weeks have not been so glamorous.  You see, I am nesting big time in preparation for this baby.  Now, I know my urge to nest is strong, and I have gone a little overboard in the past… Well, let me tell you, this time, it’s downright loony tunes.  Not only are we recarpeting and repainting all three bedrooms, we are also rebuilding the closets in two of the bedrooms.  And besides the carpet installation, we are doing everything else ourselves.  That’s just how we roll.  So all three bedrooms and two closets worth of furniture and belongings were in the backyard for a few days.  Thank God it didn’t rain!  First we reframed, drywalled and painted the closets.  Then repainted the rest of the bedrooms before the carpet was installed.  We installed custom built in storage and lighting in the closets.  Then the new closet doors and ceiling fans.  Then moved all the furniture back in.  And just yesterday we rebuilt the crib and started unpacking baby stuff!

So as I mentioned, we do have three bedrooms.  However, I am keeping all three of these gremlins in the same room for as long as possible.  Not only do we use the guest room as our everything room, but also I enjoy having one space that I can keep clean all the time, lol.  Having the kids in the same room means all of their crap is in the same room, which is so nice.  But the best part is that they understand that they are equal and together, and they seem to grow more tolerant and patient with each other.  Like they are a little team in this world.  I did not anticipate this when putting them in the same room, but it’s an awesome result.  People ask, “Well, what if one starts crying and wakes the other one up?”  And I respond that they cry and scream at me all day long.  So I feel that when I close that door for bedtime, they can cry at each other all they want.  Pretty quickly they learned to either ignore, or console each other.  This works out well for everyone, lol.

Coincidentally, they are also going to share the same birthday celebration every year.  Summerly’s birthday is June 16, this baby is due June 25, and Maverick is July 9.  People tell me, “Oh, no, you can’t have joint birthdays!”  And I’m like, first of all, if it’s all they ever know, they won’t care.  Secondly, we would literally be throwing a party three weekends in a row.  And not only is that financially ridiculous, but none of our friends or family are going to come to three birthday parties in a row.  Please.  When you produce children with factory precision, you start treating them like they are all one.  We didn’t plan this timeline.  But obviously about four months after I’m done breastfeeding is when I even consider that MAYBE I could do it again.  Bam!

Meanwhile, Nate is just now starting to freak out about having a third.  He says to me, “Babe, you realize we are going to be outnumbered?!?”  And I’m like, “Well, since you’ve been gone training and deploying for about 60-80% of their lives, I’ve been outnumbered forever.”  I’ve been saying this whole time that if I could have two alone, I could definitely have a third with my husband.  So probably I’m in denial, but I just feel like it’s a drop in the bucket at this point, lmao.

So another thing that happened right in the middle of this whole house project is that our little dog Yoshi, (my first baby,) spiked a 104 fever, and was completely sick and lethargic. So I’m taking her to the vet every morning for three mornings in a row, and running all kinds of tests to figure out why she was so sick.  At the grand total of $450, I might add.  Then on night three before going to bed, Nate takes Yoshi’s temperature with an infant’s rectal thermometer I had picked up at Target earlier that day.  And from the other room, I hear him mutter 107.  Now, for a dog, 100-101 is a normal temp.  103-104 is a definite fever, and the temperature she had been at for the past few days.  107 is the point where she would be having a seizure.  So I run into the room and ask, “What was the temp?”  Hoping I heard him wrong.  And he says, “107.  Is that bad?”  And I’m like, “Yeah, Babe, it’s really bad.  Like brain boiling bad.”  I can see on his face that he’s thinking that I’m just being hormonal dramatic, and he’s not taking me seriously.  Perhaps it was the bottle of Tito’s Vodka he and his brother had just polished off that was affecting his judgement.  So he just stares at me blank drunk, and I not so politely tell him to get his ass online and on the phone with the 24hour emergency vet.  Mind you, it was 11:30 p.m.

So as he and his brother get online and start brainstorming, I put Yoshi in the sink and drench her in cold water.  I am in a panic.  They call out to me that probably my brand new thermometer is broken.  I’m about to start screaming at them to take me seriously when Nate sees the panic on my face, and threatens that he will put the thermometer in his mouth to prove to me that it’s wrong.  And I respond, “Well, it’s a rectal thermometer.”  And he asks, “Will that put you at ease?”  And I nod, “Yes.”  So my sweet husband who will do anything for his family, (especially after half a bottle of whatever,)  proceeds to clean off the thermometer to test it on himself.  He then realizes that once inserted, he can’t read it.  So he waddles over to his unsuspecting brother, and now it’s just a big joke.  I can barely understand what they are saying through the screaming and laughter.

I wrap Yoshi in a towel and attempt to dig out an old infant thermometer that I know I used to have for the kids, and I am literally praying to God that I didn’t throw it away.  Bingo!  I take her temperature, and it’s 103, which is what it had been for the past few days.  It’s a fever, but not emergent.  I come out of the bathroom to tell Nate and his brother the good news, only to find the two of them attempting to take Sasebo’s temperature.  Remember that Bobos is a 90 pound, highly athletic Labrador with all of his faculties, dealing with two giggling drunkards.  It was quite the scene.  In the end, they did succeed in taking his temp with both thermometers to officially prove that the new thermometer is broken, and the old one is accurate.

So finally at 12:30 a.m., I am feeing calm enough to sleep.  And then the next morning, the heavens opened up, and Yoshi’s fever broke.  The vet told me later that day that it was a fever of unknown orgin.  And I’m thinking, jeez, couldn’t you have told me that $300 ago?  But whatever.  Such is life, and my dog is healthy.  And when these things happen, it reminds me to be so incredibly grateful for my family’s health, because life is precious.  And I just can’t wait for our next little one:)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s